[CLUE-Tech] Sys Admin security and user directory security

Adam_Bultman at gmx.net Adam_Bultman at gmx.net
Tue Dec 18 12:57:48 MST 2001

I had a beautifully orchestrated email last nhight that I didn't send.
Anyway, I'll re-create a thumbnail version:

If you take root from root, you aren't root anymore.  The sysadmin needs
access to EVERYTHING.  You take that away, and you can't do your job.  I need
ready access to everyone's /home/, /var/spool/mail, etc. If I didn't, I
wouldn't have realized that /var/ was at 95 percent because of two users with 400 MB
mail spools.  As well, I wouldn't know that /home/ was filling up with misc.
graphics stuff.  Same goes for windows-- where is 33 GB going on this RAID ?
 oh, well!

Anyway, if you don't want root in your stuff, encrypt it, or don't keep it
on there.  This guy I worked with did this:
1. Encrypt data
2. Put data on zip disk, remove from hard drive.
3. Put zip disks in locked cabinet.

There is NOTHING this person did that required that.  I didn't even lock my
machine.  there was no reason to, I had nothing on my box but PCanywhere, and
winamp.

Oh, well.  If you REALLY don't want the sysadmin to read your files, don't
put a .log ending on it, and put it in clf format.

adam