[CLUE-Tech] Sys Admin security and user directory security

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Dec 18 13:35:33 MST 2001

Adam,

You bring up some interesting issues.  The reason that I brought it up
was a few years ago some IRS agents were looking at their neighbors tax
returns just for the sake of it, not having a good reason to look at
them, but did have the access. That's sort of the issue I'm looking at.
I guess an issue is not letting root READ the files versus being able to
access the directory where the file resides.

Understand, this is not a critical issue, but one of assessing the
capability and policies which need to be considered to warrant this
level of security and what would need to be planned now in case it was
needed.  In addition, there is, ahem, a PHB reason: if you were the CIO
of a company, would you want everyone in the organization to know your
salary if the sysadmin could look at the info (barring any public
disclosure by Federal requirements)?

It sounds like a non-Linux/low tech solution would be needed: Zip disks
like you said and delete all files off of the hard drive.

Thanks for the comments.

Kevin