[CLUE-Tech] ssh2 public key authorization

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Dec 20 09:57:18 MST 2001

Charles,
I had numerous problems with a similar setup and some problems that I ran into were:
1. Differences in file locations depending on SSH version. I actually had two versions installed in different places, but I found that OpenSSH uses some different files than Commercial SSH. The page you reference doesn't say which version it is for.
2. The client and server must both be setup properly for this negotiation to take place properly. If you don't have access to the server you'll have to ask its admin if they allow public key authentication.
3. If you want to see what is happening in the negotiation so that you arrive at a passwd prompt then use ssh -v servername

Good Luck!