[CLUE-Tech] a more sophisticated firewall?

adam adam_bultman at gmx.net
Sun Dec 23 09:37:03 MST 2001

I've found that OpenBSD, while not linux, is the best con sarn
router/firewall there is.   Nat takes a few minutes to set up, a few more if
you want specific rules for port forwarding.  Firewalling is a snap, too--
and you can deny ranges of IPs, specific ports, packet types, etc.  It has a
tiny little footprint, too, so putting it on a 1 GB drive is well more than
enough.  I've found that the simplicity and power of OpenBSD makes it a far
better choice than Linux.  I have friends who tout the superiority of
linux's iptables firewalls-- but their lists of rules are enormous.  My
OpenBSD firewall has what-- 17 lines in it?  It blocks the standard RFC 1918
(I think) IP addresses, blocks incoming netBIOS, logs S/SA packets, and
passes in to internal IPs sendmail, www, and ssh.  works like a total gem.
I love it.  You can download a pre-configureed firewall (hardly necessary,
there is very little "open" by default) and drop it in.  15 minutes of
staring at it and you will understand how it works.  I have friends who
swear by it, I swear by it, too.  Plus, you get your hands dirty with
another distro that you may come to love.

Mine runs on a PPro 200MHz.  64 MB ram.  1 GB hard drive.  Lots of extra
space.  woo!