[CLUE-Tech] creating system backups

Matt Gushee mgushee at hypermall.net
Sat Dec 29 22:01:06 MST 2001

jason at matchingmoms.com writes:
 > I'm trying to create backups of some key directories (/etc /home /var) and
 > write them to CD-ROM.
 >
 > My first attempt was mkisofs | cdrecord, but that throws away the symlinks,
 > which I want.

Throwing away symlinks has nothing to do with the pipe, as far as I
know. Try enabling Rock Ridge extensions with the -r flag to mkisofs.
This is explained in the manual page, by the way, though not very
clearly.

By the way, why are you so dead set on not writing the CD image to a
file? Is it just lack of space on your hard drive?

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA