[CLUE-Tech] creating system backups

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 30 00:12:21 MST 2001

AFAIK, tar is your best bet on preserving all of the file metadata and
for preserving soft-links.

I routinely use mkisofs with the "-R -f" options and sometimes with the
"-R -J -f" option set.  This will "follow" soft-links (ie. copy the data
into the iso image) but it will not preserve the soft-link in the way
that you desire.  Fortunately, I don't use soft-links a lot in my data
directories so its not a big issue...  If it were, I would definately
take the time to create a tar archive first and then burn the archive to
the CDR.

hth,
Ed

--