[CLUE-Tech] best way to copy hdd

grant grant at amadensor.com
Thu Feb 8 22:29:52 MST 2001

Well, since the drives are not identical, I would not suggest using dd,
unless you make a partition exactly the same.  Very dangerous...  Your
best bet is to use cp, and then cascade directories and preserve
permissions and stay to one file system.  I think it is -R and -p and -X,
but I am not sure.

When I did this, I was just moving the /home directory to another drive
when I added the second drive.  I mounted it somewhere bogus, copied
everything over, rebooted to single user mode, renamed the home directory,
made a new /home directory, and told fstab to mount the new drive at
/home.  Then after I rebooted and verified that everything was OK, I
killed the old one.

Make sure that you preserve permissions, stay to one file system, include
hidden files, etc, and check it all very closely before erasing the old
drive.

                          Your mouse has moved.
       You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.

#!/usr/bin/perl
print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);