[CLUE-Tech] best way to copy hdd

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Feb 9 03:35:21 MST 2001

> I would like to copy one hard drive to another.  What is the best way to do
> this?  Basically, I am replacing a smaller drive with a larger one and using
> the smaller one in another system.  I want my current system transferred to
> the bigger drive and have everything work correctly.

I've had good luck just mounting the new drive under something like
/tmp/newdrive/ (with all your filesystems attached at the right
points) and running this small command found here on it:

http://linux.com/tuneup/database.phtml/Filesystem/000182.html

You'll need to make a boot disk to get lilo back on things once you switch
out the drives. A tape drive makes this about five hundred times easier.

JStanley
--
Q: How do you keep a moron in suspense?