[CLUE-Tech] Netscape 6 on Maximum Linux Mag CD-ROM Not Working - RH6.2

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 10 13:17:34 MST 2001

Nuts.

I had installed Netscape 6 on my RH V6.2 PC a while back, via a tarball
dowload (netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz) and it actually
installed fine (booted on first try!). Cool.

Problem was, SSL was not compiled in by default, so accessing a web site
that used SSL (https) locked NS6. Also, accessing Hotmail locked up NS6
(found the manual fix for that.)

I just received the March/April issue of Maximum Linux, the CD-ROM included
contained a Netscape 6 release (same filename as above BTW). I read about a
NS 6.01 release in an Aussie discussion thread, and figured maybe SSL
support was compiled-in this time around.

So, I mounted the ML CD-ROM distro and ran the NS6 installer, which detected
the 'old' NS6 installed version, deleted it, and the ran to completion with
no errors reported.

Now NS6 does not boot at all. Sheesh.

When I entered ./netscape in /usr/local/netscape, things whirred and lights
flashed, but the familiar Netscape 6 browser never appeared. ps shows that
the familiar Mozillia executable is running, along with a half-d0zen of so
Java code threads, yet nothing is displayed -nada.

Anybody run into this problem? I've checked the Manimum Linux web site,
Netscape web site (nothing) and the deja Linux usenet (nada), so any help is
much appreciated.

(Still no RPM package for NS6 apparently, as well.)

Thx.

-Jim