[CLUE-Tech] More firewalling questions...

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Feb 15 21:56:07 MST 2001

I was wondering about the -y connection flag, too.  Also, on older
versions of bind, I seem to recall reading that it uses port 53 even for
outbound traffic, thus from anywhere port 53 TO mymachine port 53 is a
possiblity.

Tim
On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 07:20:19PM -0800, Brandon N wrote:
> if your running a bind server, the source port is 53, not the
> destination
>

> >     ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
> >              -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
> >              -d $ANYWHERE 53 -j ACCEPT
> >
> What you're saying here is that anything from your unpriveleged ports
> can connect to port 53, what about a rule saying anything from your
> port 53 can get out?
>

> >     ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \
> >              -s $ANYWHERE 53 \
> >              -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand why you're using the -y
>
> Brandon

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==