[CLUE-Tech] More firewalling questions...

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 10:03:36 MST 2001

well, from watching my traffic, here is what I can tell

client machine			Bind Server
Any port -----A? some.host.com ---> port 53

same port <---- A 192.168.100.1 --- port 53

According to the Stevens book, DNS should default to UDP, only using
TCP if the packets are large.

Here is what you're doing:

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $ANYWHERE 53 -j ACCEPT
Accept packets coming from your machine to another DNS server.

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $ANYWHERE 53 \
             -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT
Accept the return packets from DNS Server

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $ANYWHERE 53 -j ACCEPT
Accept packets coming from your machine to another DNS Server (TCP)

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \
             -s $ANYWHERE 53 \
             -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

Accept the return packets as long as they aren't trying to start a new
TCP connection ( !-y means no SYN packets, (I understand why you did
that now))

However, you have not done anything to allow requests going to your
machine if it is a DNS server.

Do you have a default policy of DENY for both input and output chains?
Personally I just deny input chains, as I'm never entirely sure what
programs I may use in the future.

Brandon