[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail question

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Feb 23 12:17:31 MST 2001

Okay, this one is involved.

Say I have three mail exchangers in my DNS records:

mail.mydomain.com		10
mail2.mydomain.com		20
mail.someotherdomain.com	30

Now when an MTA looks up my MX records to send the mail, it will get those
three addresses. If the first is available it will send it there, if not
it will try the next entries down the line until it gets one that will
accept the message.

How do I have to configure sendmail on the secondary and tertiary hosts to
relay the mail back to the primary mailhost?

I know that when you want to relay mail for pop and imap accounts you need
to add the domain that they are coming from b/c the default config in
sendmail is set to reject everything that isn't explicitly stated as being
kosher to avoid spam. You do this by these lines:

somedomain.com 			RELAY
evilbastards.com		DENY

Can someone clarify what it would take to get mail2.mydomain.com and
mail.someotherdomain.com to relay all the messages to mail.mydomain.com
without trying to first deliver them to the local mail spool?

Jeremiah Stanley
--
New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way ahead of you.
- David Letterman