[CLUE-Tech] RFA X4.01 fatal server: cannot find font 'fixed'

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Tue Feb 27 11:16:58 MST 2001

Jim Ockers wrote:

> > I have X 4.01 under KRUD on my system, and it was running fine Friday.
> > Today, when trying to "startx", it would not run, giving the error
>
> >      Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> Make sure the xfs X font server is running.  If the XF86Config file lists
> the fontpath as unix/:-1 then the X server wants to talk to the X font
> server for fonts.

It was and is. The font path, as from the XF86Config-4 file was:

    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
    FontPath   "unix/:7100"

> On the other hand, if the XF86Config file lists a bunch of subdirectories as
> the font page, make sure that those directories exist and are populated with
> fonts.

There were multiple directories under the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts: TrueType,
100dpi, 75dpi, etc. and they were filled with "wonderous things" as the man
who opened the Tomb of Tutankamen said.

I finally fixed it by removing all the /etc/X11R6/XF86Config files and
rerunning XF86Config. After that it worked fine.

But this is the second time that I have had this problem with X under KRUD, so
I wonder what may be going on that it works one minute and not the next?

Thanx for your help.

BOF