[CLUE-Tech] 2.4 Compilation Questions

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Mon Jan 8 12:16:23 MST 2001

I have 2.4 compiling (w/modules) and installed. It boots just find until
it goes to start loading modules when it activates the swap partition (I
have an IDE drive as my / partition and a SCSI drive partition acting as
swap that needs the aic7xxx driver which gets loaded).

The error message I get is:

Activating swap partitions: modprobe: modeprobe: can't locate module
block-major-8

I did a `find . | grep block` on the 2.4 modules directory
(/lib/modules/2.4.0) and it came back with nothing so modprobe isn't
hornswaggling me. What exactaly block-major-8 and should I report this as
a bug?

I've tried three different compilations and had the same results.

Thanks for any advice...
JStanley

ps. I also have some drives RAID'd just to make this a little hairyer. Why
don't I just use a different machine to play with this stuff... ;)
--
Use GnuPG! -- http://www.gnupg.org
Get my key at http://www.miah.org/miah.asc