[CLUE-Tech] 2.4 Compilation Questions

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jan 8 12:22:08 MST 2001

>>>>> "Jeremiah" == Jeremiah Stanley <miah at miah.org> writes:

Jeremiah> I have 2.4 compiling (w/modules) and installed. It boots
Jeremiah> just find until it goes to start loading modules when it
Jeremiah> activates the swap partition (I have an IDE drive as my /
Jeremiah> partition and a SCSI drive partition acting as swap that
Jeremiah> needs the aic7xxx driver which gets loaded).

Jeremiah> The error message I get is:

Jeremiah> Activating swap partitions: modprobe: modeprobe: can't
Jeremiah> locate module block-major-8

Jeremiah> I did a `find . | grep block` on the 2.4 modules directory
Jeremiah> (/lib/modules/2.4.0) and it came back with nothing so
Jeremiah> modprobe isn't hornswaggling me. What exactaly block-major-8
Jeremiah> and should I report this as a bug?

block-major-8 is sd_mod (or your scsi disk module).
You can find these names out from:

modprobe -c

which should list them all. ;)

Jeremiah> I've tried three different compilations and had the same
Jeremiah> results.

try adding the following to your /etc/conf.modules or
/etc/modules.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

Jeremiah> Thanks for any advice...  JStanley

Jeremiah> ps. I also have some drives RAID'd just to make this a
Jeremiah> little hairyer. Why don't I just use a different machine to
Jeremiah> play with this stuff... ;) -- Use GnuPG! --

Naww...that would take all the fun out of it. ;)

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.