[CLUE-Tech] block-major-8

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Tue Jan 9 10:08:22 MST 2001

> The major number is used by the kernel to talk to device drivers, the minor
> is what specific device.  If you do an 'ls -aFl' in /dev the numbers where
> you'd normally see a filesize are Major, Minor numbers.

Okay, I checked the major number (3) in /proc/devices and it is the
correct one (for the first ide controller where my zip lives). How do I
find the minor number? I read somewhere that the minor number for an IDE
hd on the is 0 and 0+64 for the second device on the chain. If that is the
case then I have it setup correctly and there isn't a problem with the
minor number. Now check this out and see if you know what this could mean: