[CLUE-Tech] Quick reboot question

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 13 19:12:08 MST 2001

not really, and I'm not sure last reboot works on all systems, I use
both Solaris and Linux so much, I get confused.
The last command gives you all entries in the wtmp file for a specific
user, the "reboot" user is a special one used to measure when the
system was rebooted.

the basic trick is that you can't measure how often the system was
brought down, because there are many different ways to bring it down.
What you can do, is measure how often the machine comes up.

TO do this, create a startup script (method varies by vendor) to put a
date in a file every time it is booted, numeric dates work best,
easiest to sort.

then write another script to count all the lines before a certain date.

brandon