[CLUE-Tech] remote login or telnet as root

jason at matchingmoms.com jason at matchingmoms.com
Sun Jan 21 20:37:05 MST 2001

I can rlogin or telnet to my linux server from my Windows machine as an ordinary user without difficulty.
  Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 jsf_host.www.powerpull.net
  jsf_host login: friejas
  Password:
  Last login: Sun Jan 21 20:15:28 2001 from client1 on pts/0
  Linux jsf_host 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i686 unknown

  Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
  freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
  are described in the individual files in /usr/doc/*/copyright

  Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
  permitted by applicable law.
  friejas ~ 20:34:01>
However, when I try to rlogin or telnet as root, I get this message:
  Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 jsf_host.www.powerpull.net
  jsf_host login: root
  Password:
  Login incorrect
Any thoughts?  My goal is to administer my server from the comfortable confines of my office rather than where my server is located (in my basement).

Thanks!
Jason Friedman