[CLUE-Tech] remote login or telnet as root

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Jan 21 22:53:51 MST 2001

Jason,

You cannot (as a matter of security) telnet to any Linux box and login as
root.  You can telnet as another user and then $ su - root to change to the
'root' superuser.

BTW - Consider using ssh rather than telnet because telnet passwords are
cleartext and easy to sniff (if you are worried about your linux box being
compromised)

Cheers.
Jeff

On Sunday 21 January 2001 20:37, jason at matchingmoms.com wrote:

> > I can rlogin or telnet to my linux server from my Windows machine as an
> ordinary user without difficulty. Debian GNU/Linux 2.2
> jsf_host.www.powerpull.net
>   jsf_host login: friejas
>   Password:
>   Last login: Sun Jan 21 20:15:28 2001 from client1 on pts/0
>   Linux jsf_host 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i686 unknown
>
>   Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
>   freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
>   are described in the individual files in /usr/doc/*/copyright
>
>   Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
>   permitted by applicable law.
>   friejas ~ 20:34:01>
> However, when I try to rlogin or telnet as root, I get this message:
>   Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 jsf_host.www.powerpull.net
>   jsf_host login: root
>   Password:
>   Login incorrect
> Any thoughts?  My goal is to administer my server from the comfortable
> confines of my office rather than where my server is located (in my
> basement).
>
> Thanks!
> Jason Friedman

- --