[CLUE-Tech] lilo.conf Help reposting & response.

Ray reddickr at chisp.net
Sat Jul 14 19:51:19 MDT 2001

Lilo.conf

#
# /etc/lilo.conf  - generated by Lizard
#

# target

boot = /dev/hda
compact
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/boot.b
linear

# options

prompt
delay = 50
timeout = 50
message = /boot/message

default = linux

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2-2-10-modular
	label = linux
	root = /dev/hda1
	vga = 274
	read only
	append = “hd=1651,32,63 hd=989,15,56”

I have tried both the single offset shown and a double offset on the
append line. ---
no diff

The error message is    ‘LIL’    without any punctuation .

Hardware is a 486-66 DX-2  Clastron (Sp?) with 32 meg mem, 2 disks 850
meg & 400 meg &
a  4x  cdrom.

Boots OK with ‘ boot root = /dev/hda1 ‘ typed in at the boot prompt from
the install disk.

Running Caldera from the “Complete Idiot’s Guide   Linux” ,  2nd ed.
Installed by Lizard.

Address any thoughts/suggestions to Ray at     reddickr at chisp.net

**************** end original message ********************

My apologies for the piece of garbage I sent out this morning. I hope
this is readable.

Response to suggestions received.
I originally did not have the 'linear' in the file but adding it allowed
me to move
from having just ' LI ' to the ' LIL ' that I have a present.  The
append hasn't made any difference whether present or not.  The second
drive made no difference ( it was not included in one install ).  I have
tried installs with the lilo in both the first partition and in the
Master Boot Record with identical results.  I do not have a scuzy
drive both drives are IDE. The numbers in my append are those which the
BIOS found
when testing the drives.

Separate issue but possibly related.
I tried making a boot disk with ' dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
bs=8192 '
When booting from this disk I get the following error messages at the
kernal opening.
   ' console: switching to colour forms buffer device 80x30
     fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
     Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabeled
     Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 48:086B cash,
CHS=1651/16/63 '

Wondering if both problems are the result of a defective kernal.

Thanks for taking the time to help ( especially Grant ).  Ray