[CLUE-Tech] telnet and ipchains

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 11:40:28 MDT 2001

first determine if it is a firewall issue.
ipchains -L -n will show you the current rules
ipchains -F
ipchains -X  will flush the rules and remove all but the default chains

now try to telnet
try also to telnet localhost

if it still fails, the telnet service is probably not active

check /etc/inetd.conf
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

make sure that line is not commented out (#) (your line may vary
slightly)

if you make changes to that file, you'll have to kill -1 <PID of inetd>

Of course, you shouldn't be using telnet or ftp anyway, use ssh and
scp, using ftp for anonymous logins can be safe if it is in a chroot
jail.

Brandon