[CLUE-Tech] telnet and ipchains

Michael James Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Jul 19 12:11:54 MDT 2001

I just upgraded a few machines to RH 7.1 and found that telnet was
turned off by default even though it was on with the previous version,
and RH now uses xinetd by default so your configuration for telnet will
probably be in
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet - Which should look something like:

service telnet
{
    flags        = REUSE
    socket_type    = stream
    wait        = no
    user        = root
    server        = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    log_on_failure    += USERID
#    disable        = yes
}

You can either comment out the disable=yes line or change it to a no.
 Then as with inetd you'll need to restart it with a kill -1 <PID>