[CLUE-Tech] UPS Recommendations?

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 27 23:02:19 MDT 2001

Basically you would open it up and see what kind of battery is inside it.  For example is
it a 12 volt DC  or 6 volt DC at so many ampere hours rating.  It could have a single 12
volt battery or two 6 volt batteries wired in series to make 12 volts or it could have two
12 volts wired in parallel for 12 volts and higher amp hours or it could be two 12 volts
wired in series to make 24 volts and so on.  You really wouldn't know unless you open it
up and look at it.  Usually this information is stamped on the side of battery.  A
specification plate on the UPS might also give a clue.  If there is just a single battery,
you are in luck and don't have much to worry about.  If there are two or more, you have to
examine the wiring to see if the batteries are wired in series or parallel.  All batteries
are DC as far as I know, so there is some sort of electronic circuit that converts this DC
power source (the battery) to AC.  That's why UPS's don't run very long.  At any rate,
once you find out the specifications of the battery inside the thing, you call up some
place like Hensley Battery and as them if they have a similar battery in stock.  They
might have the actual replacement battery.  If they don't, you will have to physically
measure the battery with a tape measure and tell them the physical size  and then they
will have to give you the closest thing they have that matches the voltage and the Amp
Hour Rating.  You can go with more Amp Hours or even a bit less, but the voltage must be
the same.  More Amp Hours would generally be better, but you also have to factor in cost.
If more Amp Hours costs a lot more than it might not be worth it.

So lets say they have something that they think is a close match.  Then you have to go
down there and look at it and see if you can figure a way to get it in the case.
Obviously if the battery is a bit smaller in physical size it doesn't represent much of a
problem.  You could just shove in some styrofoam shims to keep it for rattling around.  If
it's a bit too large then you might be able to shave  away on the case or cut away part of
the case to make it fit.  That's what I did, because I saved $40.00, and it did work.  It
just depends on the circumstances.  A lot of companies like to make something that nothing
else standard will fit in so they can gouge you for an over priced battery.  Basically
batteries are batteries and all that counts is the voltage and some similar Amp Hour
rating.  Most likely your present batteries are some sort of Gel Pack type.  Usually any
place that deals in batteries would be able to tell what you have, but they too might want
to screw you on an over priced battery so you have to ask for the cheapest solution that
would actually work, not for the exact replacement item.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about it would probably be best to bite the
bullet and send it in.  If you've had a little experience with batteries and are willing
to give it a look, do it.  You can save a lot of money, but it just depends on the
particular circumstances which of course would be different in every case.