[CLUE-Tech] UPS Recommendations?

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Sat Jul 28 23:19:01 MDT 2001

Well, I'm late chiming in, but since no one else mentioned it - for a small home
system you might consider a line conditioner instead of a UPS.  It's essentially a
beefed up surge protector.  mwave has a 1200VA tripp-lite for $109.  Compare that
to $20 for a surge protector (that's only good for one surge), and $200 for a UPS
(that needs batteries replaced sometimes).  May be a simpler solution.

Of course you don't get a clean shutdown, but again, if it's just a home system...

Good discussion of the differences and things to look out for at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/basics.html#POWER_PROTECTION

Dave