[CLUE-Tech] OpenGL being lazy?

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Sun Jun 3 19:25:39 MDT 2001

My experience is that in default Xfree86 & RedHat configuration
any type of DRI/DRM or XAA (both hardware acceleration methods)
are not turned on.  Usually its a driver specific setting that
needs to be enabled.

You can check if DRI is enabled by looking at the
XFree86.0.log (the log made of the console messages sent out
when starting Xfree).

It will say in there something to the extent of

Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)

Then test it by running glxinfo.  If it says direct rendering:yes
then you should be set to go.  Otherwise its doing OpenGL in
software only.

Much more detailed information at dri.sourceforge.net

ian