[CLUE-Tech] OpenGL being lazy?

R Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Sun Jun 3 18:21:44 MDT 2001

Experimenting with a new motherboard (ABIT KT7A-RAID),
I'm in a quandry.  I'm running with a 1 GHz Athlon
with 512 MB of 133ns memory and a G400 in 4X AGP mode.
OpenGL is installed.  I'm playing an MP3 using XMMS.
CPU utilization is at about 3%; no surpirse.  But when
I turn on the OpenGL spectrum analyzer, CPU util goes up
to 95% or higher.  That doesn't seem right at all.
I thought the deal with OpenGL is that the video card
did most of the work.  Maybe the OpenGL piece is not
working an the CPU is doing bitblt transfers to do the
3D spectrum display?  Is there a way to switch OpenGL
on and off if only to verify that it's doing something?
(Other tech details: kernel 2.4.2, XFree86 Version 4.0.2)

Every time I figure out one thing two new things pop
up to be explored.  Alas.

Roger Frank