[CLUE-Tech] Logging into WindowsNT from a Linux machine

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Jun 6 18:39:09 MDT 2001

Dan Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 08:02:30PM -0600, Mark Allen wrote:
> >> I'm also looking for information on how to login remotely to a linux
> >> server with root capabilities from a Windows95/98 station. I can't
> >> seem to get root access remotely.
>
> To remotely control NT machines from Linux, I would suggest TridiaVNC, a
> cousin of the VNC (Virtual Network Computing project).
> http://www.tridiavnc.com

Dan, how does TridiaVNC compare to ORL's VNC?  Why do you prefer it?

> root login is usually disabled remotely for obvious security reasons.

Mark, if you feel security is not an issue of concern you may edit your
"/etc/securetty" file and add pseudo terminals to the list.  Typically
this file will contain your console terminals, e.g., tty1, tty2, tty3,
tty4, tty5 and tty6.  Any terminals listed in this file can telnet to
your machine as root.

If your using the new /dev/pts method of pseudo terminals (I believe most
current distributions are) you would simply add lines for pseudo terminals
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. up to 255 (or whatever limit is compiled into
your kernel).  You'll want to add enough so that you don't use up all of
the "secure" pseudo terminals with xterms.  I'd recommend 15 or more.  The
old method of specifying pseudo terminals was ttyp0, ttyp1, ttyp3, etc.

Fwiw,

Lynn Danielson