[CLUE-Tech] enabling ftp

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sat Mar 17 17:51:22 MST 2001

Roger,

You ABSOLUTELY MUST DISABLE Telnet. Don't even use it. It uses cleartext
for everything. Switch over to SSH, even behind the firewall... leads to
good habits.

I was talking to an ex-coworker who had DSL with 6 IP static addresses
allocated to him. He thought it was great. He allocated an IP to each
machine he had. I pointed out to him that he would have to manage
security
for each machine. Recently he installed Linux on one of these computers.
Someone hacked in and destroyed his machine. When asked, did you leave
Telnet enabled... he replied Yes. Anyway, he now has a Linksys
firewall/router with all machines behind this.

I am also using the same Linksys firewall behind DSL. This works great.
It
has a web interface for management. I have port forwarding enabled for
HTTP and SSH. I only let in FTP on demand.

Match