[CLUE-Tech] enabling ftp

rfrank rfrank at rfrank.net
Sat Mar 17 20:33:08 MST 2001

On Saturday 17 March 2001 17:51, Match (and others) wrote:
> Roger,
>
> You ABSOLUTELY MUST DISABLE Telnet. Don't even use it. It uses cleartext
> for everything.

Ok so now ftp, telnet, and POP3 are disabled.  I'll use ssh when I get that
installed.  But when I was removing telnet from /etc/services, I saw there
were many many other services not commented out.  Are the other services
secure -- I never hear them mentioned?

And then there are the ipchains rules.  I think I understand that services
are controlled by /etc/services, but the legal paths for individual packets
are controlled by /etc/rc.firewall.  The firewall rules I am using are from
the August 1999 issue of Linux Magazine.  The rule set is very short
compared to all the long, complicated ones I've found on the net.  I'm
thinking I'm not really safe with my always-on connection until there
are a lot more ipchains entries.

So much to learn.

Roger Frank
fun | more 2> /nev/dull