[CLUE-Tech] enabling ftp

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 19 07:37:03 MST 2001

>>>>> "Jeffery" == "Jeffery C Cann" <jccann at home.com> writes:

Jeffery> Ian, I did not remove the FTP entries from my /etc/services
Jeffery> or /etc/initd.conf.  I simply blocked ports 20 and 21 in my
Jeffery> 'ipchains' script.  This has effectively disabled FTP.

Yep, that would do it. ;)

Jeffery> Does anyone know if I should go ahead and comment the
Jeffery> /etc/initd.conf?

Jeffery> Where's Kevin Fenzi when we need him ?  ;-)

re-wiring my network. ;) Finally managed to get DSL. ;)

anyhow, if you don't ever intend to use the service, then commenting
it out (and removing the ftp server package) is a good idea. You are
right that it's blocked at your firewall, but what if someone on your
local network was using it? or if your firewall script doesn't run
correctly on reboot?

basically it's just an extra layer of security. Something that can't
run at all (or isn't installed) is better than something thats laying
in wait for your firewall to not be there.

kevin