[CLUE-Tech] Of Security and Firewalls..

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Tue Mar 20 06:13:41 MST 2001

On Tuesday 20 March 2001 02:15, Cyberclops wrote:
> Do you live in Denver proper or in a suburb?  I live in South East
> Denver near the University of Denver and they didn't have them in that
> particular area at least as of last summer.

Cyberclops, you are just north of me, so you probably have a shot
at Sprint Broadband.  I regularly get over 2 megabits/sec down and
about 200 kbps up with latency that's okay for anything but gaming.
Since I and my next-door neighbor (who works for USWest, ironically)
got the little broadband dish, I've seen them appearing on rooftops
all over the neighborhood.  Unlike a cable modem, technically
Sprint can stay ahead of the demand if they add equipment up on
El Dorado Mountain.  So far, availability and thruput have been very
good and still highly recommended.

By the way, I just completed scans from shieldsup.grc.com and
securedesign.net and monitor.dslreports.com -- the last results
gave my firewall (with Clark Point) a perfect score.  I watched
it hammer away in /var/log/messages during the test.  Great fun.

Also it was asked if Clark Point would work on a single system.
Since it is Red Hat 6.2 underneath, all the ususal RPMs would
work.  If possible, though, it seems better to have a separate
machine.  Used 486's are cheap.  That way the firewall can stay
stable when you decide to upgrade your working distribution.
For example, my inside network machines are Debian.

Roger Frank