[CLUE-Tech] Re:/cli/suks

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Fri Mar 23 07:29:49 MST 2001

You're absolutely correct, Linun/UNIX may NOT be for the home user
because it hand holds them and takes care of msot everything that is
needed.  However, as a former Mac user it wasn't until someone SHOWED me
what I could do with Linux AND I had a project which I NEED to do that
has given me the potential of accomplishing my task at hand and the
power which is available. For example, Mac OS X is begin released
Saturday, March 24th, and it is truly BSD UNIX with a CLI in a window.
I talked with an ISP yesterday and he stated that ALL of the UNIX users
he knows are drooling over OS X BECAUSE of what it offers, UNIX power
with a fantastic GUI: i.e. the best of both worlds.

As far as intuitive, I'd agree that the CLI is not.  But from my
perspective, I like both and each has their place in my toolbox to
accomplish what I need. Yes, Linux has a way to go to make the GUI
easier and more intuitive, but things are progressing in that
direction.  The sad part is that most Linux/UNIX users should encourage
GUI development to match the Macs GUI but don't.  For those system
adminstrators, how would like to administer Macs via UNIX in Mac OS X
and the users all use the GUI in their day to day job?  That's why I
think Apple is on the verge of hitting a home run with OS X because of
what it offers: UNIX administration and GUI ease of use.  Now imagine
it's three years down the road and I've purchased OS X for my home.  I
want to do some heavy editing with a CLI, I now can do that while up to
today, it would have been very difficult to do.

We can't stop progress, but it doesn move at a snails pace sometimes.

Kevin