[CLUE-Tech] Cracked!

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:07:25 MST 2001

Greetings All,

Over the last two weeks, some excellent information and advice has been
posted to Clue-Tech re: locking down your Linux system(s) (from crackers) as
well as counter-measures (turn off FTP/Telnet, Port Sentry, Tripwire, etc).

I am writing this for those of you who have Linux PCs with dailup accounts
(I use EarthLink and AmericanISP) who *still* believe they are safe from
crackersor you can take care of security later, because the just surf the
'Net using dialup accounts with no static IP.

You're not safe - Even if you use a major ISP like Earthlink.

One of CLUE's *best* confirmed that my PC was compromised yesterday, because
I neglected to disable FTP and TelNet (Ian could not say it enought -
disable telnet/FTP, even if you just use your PC to surf the web. I don't
know yet was was done, but as I inspect more of the logs, I am getting an
idea of what the intent was.

So now security is at the top of my list, learning and doing-wise, where it
should have been.I hope this post motivates those of you (and I hope I am
the last) that have not kept up with your security updates for your
Linux-distro - take care of it, today! (or at least before you get on the
'Net again.)

Hopefully this will be the last post of this sort. Thanks to all Cluebies
for their recent posts, they have helped me get things secured quickly.

-Jim Intriglia