[CLUE-Tech] Cracked!

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Mar 24 09:57:45 MST 2001

Jim> Greetings All, Over the last two weeks, some excellent
Jim> information and advice has been posted to Clue-Tech re: locking
Jim> down your Linux system(s) (from crackers) as well as
Jim> counter-measures (turn off FTP/Telnet, Port Sentry, Tripwire,
Jim> etc).

And don't forget to apply all the updates. ;)

If you are using redhat or suse, you will need to get on their update
mailing list and download and apply them when they come out.

If you are using debian (I'm not a debian user so I will probibly
muddle this...) you can put the security updates in your apt config
and just apt-update security all the time to pick up new updates.

Jim> I am writing this for those of you who have Linux PCs with dailup
Jim> accounts (I use EarthLink and AmericanISP) who *still* believe
Jim> they are safe from crackersor you can take care of security
Jim> later, because the just surf the 'Net using dialup accounts with
Jim> no static IP.

indeed. a dynamic IP and short on-line sessions are no longer a way to
stay clear. Since all the attackers are using automated scanners, all
that has to happen is that you are on-line when that IP is
scanned. They can get in in a flash. ;)

Jim> ...snipp...

Jim> So now security is at the top of my list, learning and
Jim> doing-wise, where it should have been.I hope this post motivates
Jim> those of you (and I hope I am the last) that have not kept up
Jim> with your security updates for your Linux-distro - take care of
Jim> it, today! (or at least before you get on the 'Net again.)

hear hear! ;)

Jim> -Jim Intriglia

kevin