[CLUE-Tech] IDSL (was Of Security and Firewalls..)

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Sat Mar 24 21:53:31 MST 2001

Brandon N wrote:

> I have the attenuator, but haven't had to use it this time around, my
> signal has been near perfect.
> The issue I'm having right now is packet loss, and a strange one.  I
> can ping my immediate gateway fine, but anything after that loses
> exactly half the packets, every other one.
>
> After spending several days with several different techs on the phone
> doing absolutly useless troubleshooting, they currently think I need an
> IP, so I'm waiting for that to be pushed.

Funny, I had the same problem a while back.
I could ping throughout their local routers
OK but could not get out to the world. It
appears that I was dying at one of their
routers in Colorado before jumping out.
They (@home) had some issues with DNS and
I spoke with several of their 'tier two'
techs and they were ah...less than knowledgable.
I told them that they may need to built me
back into their DNS properly to no avail so
they punted and sent out a tech. A week later
(I hate their service but can't get DSL) he
comes out and tests the line which is fine
and we talk about it. I guess he called
someone and they built my account back in
properly and I was up and running again.
One nice thing I learned was that since I
have multiple OS's (five currently) that I
should be able to keep the static IP if I
push the issue.

(kinda late on the response, sorry)

Mark

--