[CLUE-Tech] RE: xinetd in RHV7.0; RH chkconfig & RH Up2date/Network Service

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:57:24 MST 2001

Tim,

Thanks for that info.. I began reading about xinetd via the web site and in
the Linux Systems Security book I purchased, but did not find the info you
provided (thanks - thats what I needed to know!). Still have to read the man
pages.

In the April edition of Linux Journal, there is an article by Jim Ball
(Batkey Howell instructor BTW) "Managing Initscripts with Red Hats'
chkconfig" (pg128). Near the end of the article, he talks about how this
RHutility can also modify xinetd.. which is handy! I am going to experiment
with chkconfig to disable ftp/telnet/finger, and then verify (manually) that
the changes I would expect to the config/scripts have indeed occurred as
expected.
---
After upgrading a PC to RH7 from 6.2, I decided to give RH up2date daemon a
shot with respect to getting needed security packages installed. It worked
OK, until I had it update itself - has not worked since then :-)

The RH Network Mgmt service is interesting as well, but I found the download
options confusing, and the sucker does not work at all with Mozilla thus
far.

Tarballs rule? ;-)

RH tells me the V7.0 update CD will be available 4/2, as their are a ton of
security updates to be added to virgin RH7.0, and a dialup connection won't
cut it.

I'll burn a CD of the RH update and bring to the meeting for those
interested (those interested, let me know so I bring enough!).

-Jim