[CLUE-Tech] AT&T@home and Linux Network

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 23:22:02 MDT 2001

A couple of things about the @home network.  They don't do DHCP the
standard way, it's not based on your MAC address, it's based on your
hostname.  I've never tried to set up Linux using DHCP that way.  For
all intents and purposes however, your IP address is static, the only
time it will change is if they reconfigure the network.  They use DHCP
because it is easier for the techs to set up.

I would recommend finding a few other DNS servers that you can access,
I've had frequent problems with thiers.

I used to work for them when it was TCI, and I use them now through my
Linux machine, so I can tell you it does work.

Brandon