[CLUE-Tech] Linux FTP server accessible from Windows98

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Wed May 16 09:36:33 MDT 2001

Mark,

I use ProFTPD exclusively on my FTP servers.  As Grant pointed out,
passwords are transmitted as clear text when using FTP, so it's definitely
not a secure system.  However, managed properly, it can be a valuable
asset.  scp (secure copy) is great for *nix to *nix copying, but the
windows app that supports this, "puTTY", is a little tougher to implement
compared to FTP, since FTP clients are so ubiquitous.  If you need a secure
solution, definitely try out scp-based solutions (are there any other than
puTTY?).

Also, a tip, if you do use FTP:

Don't give your FTP users a shell account if they don't need it!  Make an
empty file called /usr/bin/false, using your favorite editor, or using this
command:

echo "" > /usr/bin/false

After adding your FTP user, edit /etc/passwd, find the line that starts
with their login and change the shell from /bin/bash to /usr/bin/false.

If anyone does happen to "sniff" out an FTP login and get a password, it
does more to prevent them from getting a shell and doing further damage
with that user account.

-Dan Harris