[CLUE-Tech] My printer hates me

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed May 23 14:17:53 MDT 2001

Hi, folks--

Well, I did it again ... killed a running print job (because I was
going to print out way more than I wanted). Maybe some day I'll learn,
because

    The blasted thing prints out page after page after page of

    and
    AFTER I:
    cleared the print queue (# lprm - , so it should have gotten
        everything)
    killed lpd
    turned off the printer
    unplugged the printer cable
    and the power cord
    waited a minute or so
    plugged everything back in
    turned on the printer
    restarted lpd

    The damn thing continues (it's been about half an hour -- I keep
	stuffing in the same wad of paper so's not to waste too much)!

So my first question is:

   Regardless of what's actually causing this, is there a cure or
       workaround in my lpr configuration? Or do I just have to chuck
       the printer out the window?

   The printer, by the way, is a Xerox DocuPrint XJ6C. Not the
       smartest purchase I've ever made. But it had a three-year
       warranty and came with separate cartridges for each color.
       After I bought it I found out that, though there's an HP
       driver that works reasonably well with this model, Xerox had
       flat-out refused either to write a Linux driver for it or to
       release the specs to Linux developers -- not only that, their
       NT driver won't print anything with even slightly unusual
       margin settings. Now, of course, we all know how fscked-up
       Xerox is ...

Sorry to rant. Anyway, my second question is, in the near future when
   I've finally had enough of this printer, can anyone recommend a
   low-cost printer that works well with Linux?

   Whatever printer I buy has to produce crisp, professional-looking
   B&W text; good graphics would be nice, but are a low priority.

   If possible, I'd like one that has separate color cartridges.

Plz hlp.

Matt Gushee