[CLUE-Tech] My printer hates me

jimintriglia at americanisp.net jimintriglia at americanisp.net
Thu May 24 06:00:30 MDT 2001

>    can anyone recommend a
>    low-cost printer that works well with Linux?
>
>    Whatever printer I buy has to produce crisp, professional-looking
>    B text; good graphics would be nice, but are a low priority.
>
>    If possible, I'd like one that has separate color cartridges.

I recall recently a good review (in either Linux Journal or Linux Mag) of a
Lexmark printer.

I'm presently using an Epson Stylus Color 900G, which produces good print and
graphics at a good clip. It works out-of-box with Linux at low-res (via
printtool); hi-res works fine after installing a GIMP plug-in. Black cartridge
is seperate from Color (which is a single cartridge for all three colors).

This Epson model seems to suffer from a clogged printhead more than my previous
HP 870csi, which worked great under RH V6.2 'till it died of old age.

May want to checkout the HP or Epson printers being featured at Price Club /
Walmart (WM carries Lexmarts for <$80) that work well and meet your other needs
(check Linuxprinting.org database for details).

HTH

JimI.