[CLUE-Tech] RH 7.2 DMA Woes

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Nov 2 08:09:22 MST 2001

> As I recall, with RH 7.1 dma was enabled for installation, which was
> not the usual practice of other vendors at the time. This led to
> problems, especially on Toshiba laptops, and RH published an article
> with a fix of passing the installation program a switch to turn off
> dma.

Well, I kept playing with it (helped a friend get it on his new laptop).
And eventually it started working for me flawlessly. The only difference
in what I did? I checked for bad blocks on the disks and it never locked
up again. Which that isn't a solution, but more a mystery... I guess it
was just a full moon AND halloween at the same time. :)

> So perhaps the problem is not in your computer, but in the RH
> installation program.

I recall a flag you can send the kernel to tell it not to put the drives
into DMA mode, if I find it I'll post it to the list.

And, GRUB rocks for those of you who haven't tried it!

Anyone who has had a bull by the tail knows five or six more things
than someone who hasn't.
		-- Mark Twain

PGP Key ID: 548791D7