[CLUE-Tech] RH 7.2 DMA Woes

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Nov 2 11:13:08 MST 2001

Adam_Bultman at gmx.net wrote:

>>You can set/unset DMA at runtime with "/sbin/hdparm" and the kernel
>>parameters for DMA on IDE are described in:
>>
>>   /usr/src/linux-$VER/Documentation/ide.txt
>>
> Isn't there a danger of disk corruption?

Depends on your chipset.  See the kernel docs.  Older
chipsets (6mo or more) its very likely to work well.
Be careful with just-released chipsets and laptops.

>  Does it (hdparm) speed things up that much?

man hdparm

You should *read* and pay attention to the warnings.  Its
best to do the benchmarking in single-user mode.  Run it
with the -t/-T options both with and without DMA and
see the difference.  It can be significant--I've seen
30-100+% improvements in some of the tests.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD