[CLUE-Tech] ethernet wiring

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Nov 13 10:45:32 MST 2001

Brandon N wrote:

> If you're going to be doing any amount of wiring, you should pick up a
> simple cable tester.  You plug it in to both ends and it tells you if
> you have it crossed or split pairs.  They also have a wiring diagram on
> them.  You can pick them up at Home Depot for about $30-$40,  which is
> where I also got all my cabling, If you don't like shopping at Home
> Depot, you could also try Graybar.

Now that's a useful tip.  I shopped at Graybar (Home Depot didn't occur to
me, and I didn't know enough to shop online).  The cable testers I saw were
$100 or $200 (with a tone generator).  In the end, I didn't get one.  As
the Graybar guy said, "if you wire it wrong, it won't work".  That advice
was good enough for the job I did.

I also built my own tone generator (for tracing wires) out of a 9v adapter
and a multi-meter.  Less than ideal, I know, but it worked.  Anyone know
any good "build it yourself" sources?