[CLUE-Tech] ethernet wiring

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 12:47:00 MST 2001

There are different types of testing devices.
1. Tone generator, used for tracing wires, useful if you have a wiring
closet with more than 10 wires, or your tracing someone elses
(unlabeled) wires.  They run about $75 for the probe and generator.

2. Simple link tester.  checks wires for crossovers, split pairs,
shorts, (this is what I have)  Home depot sells them for $70 (I don't
remember paying that much, but anyone is welcome to borrow mine.)

3. Tools that can verify bandwidth capabilities, these can run from
several hundred to several thousand dollars,  The one that my college
used to have could tell you the distance to a kink in the wire based on
the echo.

Yes it's true that if it doesn't work, you know you have a problem, but
it's useful to be able to determine exactly where that problem is, I've
found the link tester to be an invaluable tool.

Brandon