[CLUE-Tech] PHP or CSS question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Sat Nov 17 11:22:52 MST 2001

On 11-17 10:32, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to learn PHP, in a small way, and would like to determine
> whether CSS or PHP would be best for my situation.
>
> I'm working on a web site (actually two, not very big ones at the
> moment) and I've been thinking that CSS would help with the
> administration of the web site (i.e. making one change that affects the
> whole site, like footers, headers, etc.) and wondered if PHP would be
> the better way. How this came about was I had turned off my JAVA/SS on
> my Netscape and found once I turned on SS that some sites became normal
> (hey, I know that I'm getting lazy ;-) ). However, not one to leave
> visitors stranded who visit these sites who may have their JAVA/SS
> turned off, would PHP still provide the look I want with the "ease of
> administration" help if visitors had turned off JAVA/SS ? I have not
> moved anything to SS or PHP yet, but wanted some input from experts.

Well, I'm not an "expert", but I have done quite a bit of web
development myself...as a programmer, my focus was not on the CSS and
other presentation type details, but I know enough about CSS to know
that support is sketchy. It really comes down to who the target is for
the web site. Is it an intranet application, or a public web site? If a
public website, you should be aware that the CSS support for NS 4.x
ranges from nonexistant to severely broken, IIRC. If an intranet site,
you can make sure that your user base has a browser that supports CSS
properly.

Have fun with whatever you end up doing, though. Both can be fun and
interesting to learn (I barely skimmed the surface on CSS, but I did
do quite a bit of PHP before I was laid off).

Cheers,

--
-
Sean LeBlanc, seanleblanc at home.com