[CLUE-Tech] PHP or CSS question

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sat Nov 17 13:16:22 MST 2001

I think you should use both. I've been a web application developer for
over 8 years now, and things have come a long way since then.  Two of my
favorite improvements have been Server Side Scripting (PHP, ASP, Cold
Fusion, CGIs, etc) and CSS.  The server side stuff allows you to access
databases, include template files, do calculations, etc.  I wouldn't
have a job right now without it.  CSS is great because you can use it in
place of things like <font color="whatever"> and <center>, etc.  I
prefer Cold Fusion to any other server side language, mainly because of
the speed at which I can write apps with it.  PHP is my second favorite,
and both have their upsides. To see some quick examples of what you can
do with both, check out my first php app @ www.fimble.com/buysell. Then,
I've been using Cold Fusion to try to make version of the slashdot.org
code at www.fimble.com, but as you'll see, I made my own modifications
in places because I don't like the way the slashcode works at times.
I'm far from done with it, but it should give you an idea of what is
possible with sever side scripting.