[CLUE-Tech] newsfeed

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Sat Nov 17 12:16:07 MST 2001

> I consider @Home a "real" ISP, BTW. They don't do anything proprietary
> or make you use "user friendly" clients that lock you in to certain
> OS's. They just give you a static IP (or dynamic, depending on when
> and where you signed up, apparently), some name servers, a mail server
> and news server and you're off...just don't expect any support for
> Linux. (or Windows NT, at least at one point, or *BSD) :)

Not to start a flame war, here is an excerpt from the "Fair Use"
agreement:

"Examples of prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, running
servers for mail, http, ftp, irc, and dhcp, and multi-user interactive
forums."

I understand a few of these, DHCP is a part of their network and letting
anybody and their brother run an IRC server is just bad business. But
blocking ports 80 and 21 is just folly. There is no reason I can't run
those service off of another port. And isn't running a gnutella client
like running an anonymous FTP server with search capabilites (archie
anyone)?

Most of my problem is that their support and their customer service leave
the taste of AOL in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I like the service and accept it for what it is. But,
I'd gladly go back to a slower speed if I could run my own services (like
DNS, mail and ftp).

I've got Pan working beautifully on the newsfeed.

Thanks for all the help guys, you are actually faster than waiting on hold
with @Home (granted it is my fault for waiting until Sat to call...).

--
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"