[CLUE-Tech] newsfeed

Collins Richey erichey2 at home.com
Sat Nov 17 14:09:34 MST 2001

[ snips ]

> Yep, I've never used AOL before, but I think @Home is the absolute
> worst
> customer service I've ever experienced for any kind of service, not
> just an
> ISP...and I've had three ISPs prior to @Home, and like three or four
> different telcos and a few cable providers over the years, so that
> is saying a lot.
> :)

I must confess that I haven't had any of the bad responses from @home
that you describe.  About 7-8 months ago they did have problems with a
DNS server, but they provided me with alternate IP addresses when
asked to.  I never bother to tell them I"m running Linux.

The only lengthy problem I had was when they forced me to switch off
the fixed ip address and go to DHCP.  That was no problem for Linux,
but the @#%! WinME box that my wife and daughter use wouldn't play
ball.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone with their Level II rep,
and the rep tried everything he could before turning me over to a M$
rep who fixed the problem after 3 more hours and $35.  If you have to
deal with M$ products, stay away from WinME if you can.  It's the
biggest pile of manure they've every produced.

YMMV, but I've found ATT&T cable with @home to be the best thing since
sliced bread.  But then I'm not trying to run a server on the sly or
otherwise circumvent their restrictions.  The only quirk I've
experienced in recent months is that they take down (or at least stop
responding) the mail server for 5-10 minutes at the whack, after which
service is always normal again.

--
Collins Richey
Denver Area