[CLUE-Tech] newsfeed

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Sat Nov 17 14:40:11 MST 2001

On 11-17 14:09, Collins Richey wrote:
> [ snips ]
>
> > Yep, I've never used AOL before, but I think @Home is the absolute
> > worst
> > customer service I've ever experienced for any kind of service, not
> > just an
> > ISP...and I've had three ISPs prior to @Home, and like three or four
> > different telcos and a few cable providers over the years, so that
> > is saying a lot.
> > :)
>
> I must confess that I haven't had any of the bad responses from @home
> that you describe.  About 7-8 months ago they did have problems with a
> DNS server, but they provided me with alternate IP addresses when
> asked to.  I never bother to tell them I"m running Linux.

Wow. You're really lucky, then. They always ask me to go to the start
button, which more or less forces my hand in telling them about Linux.

Luckily, I've had the service for more than two years now, and I've
only had to call them a handful of times. I love the downstream speeds
and the upstream speeds are okay...I wouldn't have kept the service
that long if I hate the actual product. I didn't really appreciate
the $6 hike last summer/spring, and hate calling them for anything,
but beyond that, I'm pretty happy with the service, believe me. I certainly
recommend it to everyone I know who's thinking about it, but I'm quite
frank about the support situation.

I saw some article on Slashdot about a "trend" of folks going back to dial-up, and
I'm really suspect. I've recently been laid off, too, and the cable modem
will be the last to go, if it comes down to that...I'll eat Ramen
noodles and other such things before I give up the cable modem. :)
Obviously, other people's priorities won't be the same as mine, but it's
nice not to have to tie up the phone line in the event that a recruiter
actually calls.

--
-
Sean LeBlanc, seanleblanc at home.com