[CLUE-Tech] newsfeed

Randy Arabie rrarabie at home.com
Sun Nov 18 10:08:58 MST 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Collins Richey wrote:

> The only lengthy problem I had was when they forced me to switch off
> the fixed ip address and go to DHCP.

Same occurred to me.  I wasn't sure what was wrong, I ended up calling
@home support.  I didn't tell them I was running Linux, but that I had a
"hardware firewall solution" between my cable modem and Windoze PC.  I
admitted that I did have my IP Address hard coded.  They said I needed to
go to DHCP.  They said they couldn't help me with my "hardware", but
that it probably supported DHCP.  I said no problem, reconfigured my
firewall box to be a DHCP client, and got it working.

I don't expect them to support any flavor OS, but likewise I don't expect
them to hassle me if I use something other than Windoze or Mac.  I've
been happy with them, but I haven't really needed any support either.

I do have ssh, smtp, and http running.  However, I limit access based on IP
address.  That's so my wife can access the web server from her office
and so I can from mine.  And, I log in via ssh to check my email.  The
bottom line is the traffic is so limited I doubt I even show up on their
radar.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

   Fingerprint: 75CB 1707 3C14 EF94 22E1  995F 7286 97DC B41D 79CE
   Key ID: 7C603AEF
   Keyserver: seattle.keyserver.net